Siġġiewi is in the southern region of Malta. It is the third largest council in Malta by surface area. It is situated on a plateau, a few kilometres away from Mdina, the ancient capital city of Malta and has a population of 8500 people.
Before the arrival of the Order of St John in 1530, there were other thriving hamlets in the area. The Neolithic sites of Hagar Qim and Mnajdra (3600-2500 BC) are within walking distance of the village. Also within easy reach of the village are the Bronze Age settlement of Wardija ta’ San Gorg, almost at the southern tail end of Dingli Cliffs, and the Bronze Age cart-ruts at ix-Xaghra ta’ Ghar il-Kbir (1500-750/800 BC).
An early Phoenician tomb was located in the area, but small Phoenician/Punic cemeteries are known on the hill top of tal-Gholja and at ix-Xaghra ta’ Ghar il-kbir. In numerous places, Roman pottery scatters are often encountered, suggesting that the environs of Siggiewi were also occupied during the Roman occupation of Malta and Gozo.
A series of early catacombs are located close to Maghlaq valley. Buildings of interest are the Inquisitor’s Summer Palace, built in 1625 Today it is the Maltese Prime Minister’s official residence. The palace of Grand Master Verdalle is one of the residences of the Presidents of the Republic, therefore called Verdala Palace.
From Siġġiewi the islet of Filfla can be seen on the horizon. The village stands on a flat plateau flanked by two relatively deep valleys.
The patron saint is St. Nicholas and the day of the annual festa is held the last Sunday of June.